Maybe your tax refund is burning a hole in your pocket. Or maybe your son or daughter finally fled the nest and the empty room is driving you crazy.
Whatever your motivation, there are lots of reasons to personalize some extra space in your home. Even better? Consumer Reports estimates that adding a flex or double-duty room can potentially boost your home’s value by 4 to 6 percent.
Whether it’s a spare bedroom, the basement, or extra space above the garage, you’ve got options. Looking for ideas? Check out this list.
Flex Room Design Ideas
- Workout space: Make a home gym with rubber flooring, fitness equipment, and free weights. Or, mellow out when you design your own yoga sanctuary. Either way, mirrors can help you check your form and make a smaller space appear larger.
- Kids’ playroom: Whether it’s for your own kids, grandkids, or a home babysitting setup, the little ones will love having their own space – and you’ll love being able to shut the door to hide the mess! Houzz has this list of ideas for designing a playroom.
- Arts and crafts room: Here’s your excuse to splurge on swoon-worthy home organization! Creative hobbies like sewing, painting, knitting, or quilting require lots of supplies. A designated space can help keep your creative focus… and keep all your bits and bobs in the right place. Get more hobby room inspiration in this list from HGTV.
- Movie theater: With a home theater, the whole family can enjoy the big-screen experience without the overpriced popcorn. The must-haves? A projector, comfy seating, dimmable lighting, and a solid sound system. Amp up your next showing with this list of creative family movie night ideas.
- Music room: Pro tip: Soundproofing makes at-home recordings sound cleaner… and keeps the neighbors happy, too. Whether you want a home recording studio or just a space to jam with friends, opt for bold, inspirational colors, mood lighting, and lots of storage space. See more music room design inspiration from The Home Edit.
Just finished a renovation? Talk to your insurance agent
If you’re tackling a major home improvement project, don’t forget to check in with your insurance agent. Major improvements that add value to your home often mean you need a higher limit on your homeowners insurance.
Read more: What life changes do I need to tell my insurance agent about?
One more thing: Does your existing homeowners coverage include 100% Guaranteed Replacement Cost*? If you’re not sure, contact your local ERIE agent and ask for a quote. Guaranteed Replacement Cost is different than an actual cash value (ACV) homeowners policy, which subtracts wear and tear and depreciation from your payment if your home is damaged. An ERIE agent can help you understand the difference and why it matters.
With a Guaranteed Replacement Cost homeowners policy from Erie Insurance, we require notification of home improvements of more than $5,000 within 90 days so we can update your policy and ensure you have the right protection. It’s just one more way we’re looking out for you.
See what makes us different. Learn more about homeowners insurance from ERIE and request a free quote online.
*Not available with all policies and in all states. Coverage of costs to comply with laws or ordinances is subject to limits. Depreciation will be deducted until repair or replacement is made. Talk to your ERIE agent for more information.
A better insurance experience starts with ERIE.
Haven’t heard of us? Erie Insurance started with humble beginnings in 1925 with a mission to emphasize customer service above all else. Though we’ve grown to reach the Fortune 500 list, we still haven’t lost the human touch.
Contact Fusco Insurance Agency today to experience the ERIE difference for yourself.